Sunday, June 24, 2012

Greg Boyd's "Godless Sermon"

Greg Boyd:
We’re not called to be big. We’re not called to be mass-marketing Jesus. We’re not called to have fancy churches. We’re not called to have high steeples. We’re not called to have soft pews. We’re not called to have great programs…
What we’re called to do is love.
Love is by definition, sacrificial.
It’s got to grieve the Lord to the core of his being when he sees… the American church… that is so up in other things. We’re to be followers of the Lord who said “If you don’t give up all your possessions, you can’t be my disciples”…
[Christians say they can't help because they have their own problems.] But what are the problems that so many American Christians think they have? Well, you look at what they do with their resources, that’s how you tell what their problems are. It’s the problems of upgrading your curtains! It’s the problem of upgrading your car! It’s the problem of finding bigger closet space because you’ve got too many clothes! It’s the problem of “I gotta get a job promotion; I want the best for my kids, and I gotta have this and I gotta have that and I’ve got my own problems. I gotta make house payments!”
…I think the Lord would say, “You’ve got the wrong set of problems! You’ve got the wrong set of problems.”
…But you say, “Greg, you can’t solve the world’s problems!”…
That’s true. You can’t.
But the Good Samaritan wasn’t trying to curb the crime rate in Jericho. There’s this one guy here in need, and he met that need.
You can’t solve the world’s problems, but maybe this person over here could use your friendship, and this person over here could be helped out by you…
Have you seen the movie Schindler’s List? Schindler was a man who bought about 6,000 Jews out of destruction by putting together a phony business… At the end of the war, when the Jews were freed, they came and thanked him and said, “Thank you, you’ve done so much.”
And Schindler began to cry. He says, “It wasn’t enough. It wasn’t enough!”
They said, “But you did so much!”
And he says, “But I could have done more! This watch – I could have bought three lives with this watch! … And this tie clasp – this would have been a life! And these shoes, how many lives are these shoes worth? And this car! How many lives was this car worth? Why didn’t I sell the car? I could have bought more lives! It wasn’t enough!”
And the question that the gospel… would put right in my face is this: “Who is paying a price for my curtains?”
This cuts right to the heart of the American dream. What else could I be doing with what I’ve got?
To listen to the entire sermon (17 minutes is roughly where the quote is), click HERE. 

It is well worth your time. 

--Nick

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow. That hits close to home, Nick. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete