Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The Radical Nature of Not Voting

In protest, my (worthless) vote will not be cast this election. As someone who was already hesitant to vote in the last election (but ultimately caved), I want to answer a few common objections to my resolution.

"It is your civic duty to vote."

No it isn't. If the colonized political process will not yield positive benefits in *either* direction from *either* candidate, then it is my civic duty to maintain my principles and resist such a colossal waste of my time.

"If you don't vote, you have no right to complain."

Two things. One, I don't plan on complaining. I haven't done much political complaining since Obama was elected, I don't plan on doing much of that now.

Second, if I were to complain, I would have every right to complain under the guise of the first Amendment. Free speech can be exercised however one so chooses, and if one wants to be a loud mouth and a hypocrite, well this is America and we elect those kinds of people all the time.

Boosh.

"You are not an American if you don't vote!"

I've never ridden a bull, shot a gun, beaten my wife, or driven a monster truck. I don't like MacDonalds, Budweiser or the NRA.

Wait, how does this help me vote?

--Nick

2 comments:

  1. Those are all pretty bad reasons. I hope you don't spend all day in a field talking to scarecrows. (Ey, ey...see what I did there?)

    The real questions are "What are you protesting, and is it worth risking a second Obama term?" and as a corallary, "Do you think that a second Obama term would be significantly worse than a Romney administration, and if so, again, is your principled abstaining worth the risk?"

    But like ya said, you live in CA, so your vote is worthless anyway (though I would not be shocked if Romney wins CA).

    Also, "never beaten my wife"? Really? That doesn't even make sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "If you don't vote, you have no right to complain."

    I encounter this one quite frequently. Point of fact: you would indeed have every right to complain not only in light of the 1st Amendment, but also due to the reality that you yourself have not participated in the election process and are therefore not culpable for whoever finds their way into the office of the Presidency as a result of the votes of others. This completely frees you to complain vociferously, if you so choose, to those who did participate.

    Have you ever read, "Electing not to Vote"?

    ReplyDelete