Saturday, January 12, 2013

The Christology of Jurgen Moltmann

Karkkainen:
"Because the hope of resurrection goes back to the decisive victory of God in Christ over death, it encompasses and includes the hope of God's righteousness within history, yet it also transcends history. Interestingly enough, in contrast to Pannenberg, Moltmann refuses to subject the event of the resurrection to the scrutiny of historical-critical research, even though he obviously regards it as an event in time and space. He does so because the even of the resurrection calls into question the concept of history as it is conceived of within the limits of the modern scientific approach. The proper way to approach the resurrection is to connect it with the future eschatological hope; to believe in the reality of the resurection, one must let oneself be thrown into active hope."
 Karkkainen, Christology: A Global Introduction pg151.

2 comments:

  1. I would like to see a context for this post: Are you a fan of Moltmann? or not? and why?

    I recall other posts of yours about, or quoting, Multmann, but I can't find a search function here to research your opinions about him.

    If you're looking for a personal response to Karkkainen's comment, I am fairly materialist in my understanding of history (and all of "reality") and thus I can't say I have any particular and personal *opinion* or *feeling* about Christ's "resurrection" (or my own life-after-death), but I have a hope, and trust, based on Renformed theology, in *whatever* it is that Almighy God has in store for us, and that is enough for me right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was in Karkkainen's introduction to Christology. I like Moltmann because he gives Reformed Theology an interesting perspective, one I find quite persuasive. I actually wrote a bit on this in the original post, but removed it because I was tired and it didn't make much sense to me.

      My original thoughts centered on the necessity of hope for the resurrection and future work that Christ will complete, but also taking into account the historical grounds for the resurrection. So I try to adopt both historical and futurist eschatology. I call it "hopeful completionism" for lack of a technical term and, I suspect, a hint of narcissism. :)

      --Nick

      Delete