Here is part of Hipps announcement:
Not long after Rob left, the Elders determined it was in the best interest of the church to restructure the role of the Teaching Pastor to be a full time teacher, which means approximately 40 Sundays a year. In addition, that teacher would report to the Executive Director who would be responsible for the overall leadership of the church.For the rest, click here.
The original calling I accepted was to teach 25 Sundays a year, continue serving the broader church through speaking and writing, report directly to the Elders, and play a major role in casting vision. They acknowledged that the new role was significantly different than the one I originally accepted, but expressed a hope that I would consider applying for it. I respected their decision and was grateful for their invitation to apply.
And so as I’ve done a number of times in my life, I set about the process of discerning that call. Almost immediately I was hit with the sad realization that one way or another, my current calling was coming to an end. It took some time to get used to. I love the Mars Hill community and have been very happy here.
For me this was difficult because it presented me with a real dilemma. If I accepted the new role, I would have to dramatically reduce my service to the broader church which is an integral part of my sense of call. If I elected not to take the role I lose my grounding in a local community, which I understood as part of my sense of call. Frankly, I didn’t want to accept either of those.
I came face to face with one of the most powerful and difficult ingredients in discovering call — the role of limits.
--Nick

No comments:
Post a Comment