ATHEIST
So tell me about God.
CHRISTIAN
You already know who He is.
ATHEIST
Did you just capitalize -- never mind.
(Beat)
So read my mind and tell me what I already know.
CHRISTIAN
Well, He’s the best you could ever hope to have.
ATHEIST
So He is a thing?
CHRISTIAN
No silly! He’s a person. Well, three of them.
ATHEIST
So are we talking Norman Bates or something else.
CHRISTIAN
(Sigh)
Sigh.
(Beat)
Do you accept what you already know?
ATHEIST
I don’t know what I know, how would I know what --
CHRISTIAN
So is that a no?
Beat.
ATHEIST
Yes?
CHRISTIAN
Don’t worry. You’ll still be handsome in hell.
ATHEIST
Is that supposed to scare me?
CHRISTIAN
Yes. Bet you feel hot right now.
ATHEIST
Well I do feel something ...
In case it wasn't obvious, I wrote portions of this down when I heard it in the coffee shop. I tweaked some parts and added a clarifying line here and there. Largely true.
As someone who identifies as a Christian, this is hard to stomach.
--Nick
No comments:
Post a Comment