A strong similarity one could
identify are the various power structures (government, military, mass
brands) that still loom large and have a substantial grip upon the lives
of many human beings. The Roman Eagle has, however, been replaced by a
more tempered red, white, and blue flag. Coupled with this is the
hierarchy of humanity, a division between the upper and lower classes
with an economic context. Also of note are the various gods and
religious centers within Paul’s own metropolitan context. Couple this
with cultural idolatry (sex, consumerism, etc.), and it seems that this
similar sociopolitical cocktail is blended to perfection.
In the areas of dissimilarity, the
“corporate” versus “individual” mindset does seem to be reversed. Here
in the States, the individual human is seen as autonomous and is able to
function outside of the larger corporate body of people. An example
would be the ‘unchurched’ Church, those who have left their faith
communities. In the advent of technology, this is made possible. In
Paul’s world, it seems that a human being was seen more in light of a
proverb I once heard: “we are, therefore I am.” These days, it seems
that the idiom is more “I am, therefore I am.” Some of the challenges
the modern church must face include (and are not limited to!) our
schismatic environment involving economics and race, notions of empire
and imperialism, and assimilation by means of compromise. I suspect Paul
could help guide us through his and our frame of reference.
NQ

No comments:
Post a Comment