Monday, October 29, 2012

Hopped and Bothered; Great Divide Yeti Imperial Stout

Great Divide -- Yeti Imperial Stout
Alcohol content 9.5%. Poured into separate glasses. The head is coffee dark, creamy and lingering. The scent is bitter burnt cocoa and coffee. My friends KJ and I took our time drinking this, and it took me over 30 minutes to finish my glass.

The chocolate is so rich, I could easily classify this beer as a dessert. Hints of nut and malt are coupled together with an espresso backing that adds complexity. The addition of bitterness works well, coupling the richness of the cocoa malt. The finish is boozy and more hoppy than I thought it would be, but it worked nicely. Hints of dark fruits. Figs. Raisins. And a lot of cocoa.

Alcohol is best shared in the presence of friends.

Buy if: you want a damn good imperial stout.

Overall: the bitterness takes some getting used to, but the richness of the chocolate and coffee works wonders. Especially in the dead cold of night. Worth your time.

5 out of 5.

--Nick

1 comment: