Sunday, November 4, 2012

30 Days of Thanks: Day 4

I started reading Karl Barth's "Epistle to the Romans" and though I found mostly compelling, something very jarring shook me. I didn't find his treatment of Junia in Romans 16 to be compelling, and this bothered me for over an hour. I came to the following conclusion after consulting commentaries and reading Scripture:

I am thankful for the thoughts of others who keep my up in the wee hours of the morning. This keeps me alert, on my toes, and unwilling to accept bad evidence/arguments in favor of poor excuses. I also don't like to assume a priori that I am correct. Though this has lead to some schisms over the topic of inerrancy in other discussions, I think intellectual honesty is what ought to drive conversations.

I passionately believe both exegetically and textually that Barth (and others) are wrong on this one, but I most certainly think Junia is gently instructing and teaching Barth beyond the pearly gates. Knowing the very little I know of him, I think Barth is enjoying it.

For a few reasons and multiple sources on Junia.

You?

--Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment