Sunday, October 20, 2013

Cinematic Indulgences, or Brief(er) Reviews of Film I Haven't Reviewed

Well folks, I'm mostly back. Allison and I just returned from our honeymoon to Maui, and before that we were simply adapting to married life. Blessedly, things haven't had to change much. I saw a few films between the time of my engagement and now, and figure I'll share a few of my thoughts on them. These are by no means exhaustive, and I look forward to chatting them up in greater detail, should you feel the need to grace my comment section with your honey-like love.

And, as they say, on with the show.

Man of Steel

Visually stunning, largely well written, thematically interesting. The controversy about Super Man notwithstanding, I believe the sequence is provocative and not at all out of character. As much as I hated Sucker Punch (in hindsight), Snyder nailed this one for me. Russell Crowe is underutilized and the pacing for the second half is a bit flattened. However, a strong action flick.

4 stars out of 5.

2 Guns

As much as I enjoyed the trailer, I wish the film hadn't existed beyond the two and a half minutes of the trailer. The best parts are shown in the teaser, the pacing is truncated, the acting is by and large fun and ultimately, the film is hollow and proud of its brevity.

Amusing. Rental. 2.5 stars out of 5.

Pacific Rim

I saw this three times on the big screen and am pitching a serious headache right now, waiting for this to arrive on Blu-Ray. The acting is big budget balanced, but the effects and overall technical aspect of the story is sound and seriously like watching someone plant dynamite on a house. Boom boom boom. Seriously, the most fun I've ever had, besides being married. And even then, fighting monsters takes a front seat to "loving."

5 stars out of 5.

Riddick

The film suffers from several faults: a bad second act being contrasted with a magnificent first half. The first 45 minutes are, roughly, a silent film. The predator becomes the prey on a deserted planet. Diesel is amusing as the booming anti-hero, but the rest of the cast was … was … something. I don't remember. The effects are above average, the finale is a bit bland and the first act smokes so much the rest of the film kinda sucks.

Rental. 3 stars out of 5.

So. Yeah. Enjoy. :)

--Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment