Sunday, November 3, 2013

The 'Mortality' and Wisdom of 'Solomon'

Beneath is the Wisdom of Solomon, chapter 7:1-6 from the Apocrypha. I find it to be a powerful explanation of the image of pure mortalism. That is, a man who recognizes that he is without immortality, without eternal life.
1 I also am mortal, like everyone else,
a descendant of the first-formed child of earth;
and in the womb of a mother I was molded into flesh, 
2 within the period of ten months, compacted with blood,
from the seed of a man and the pleasure of marriage. 
3 And when I was born, I began to breathe the common air,
and fell upon the kindred earth;
my first sound was a cry, as is true of all. 
4 I was nursed with care in swaddling cloths. 
5 For no king has had a different beginning of existence; 
6 there is for all one entrance into life, and one way out.
Its a helpful reminder of my own mortality.

--Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment