Saturday, June 21, 2014

New Seminarian: Morning Coffee and a Plea for Restraint

*sip*

Okay. I've been mulling this over for a few months and I think I may have found some sort of solution. Now, what I am about to talk about is generalized and most certainly open to nuance. I welcome that. But I feel like I may be onto something and, well, time to talk about it.

*sip*

I've been guilty of many things in my life, and one of them was that I would shill off a blog response to anything that got me riled up. Be it John Piper, Mark Driscoll, or ... more Mark Driscoll. Because of this, I want to offer a possible method of blogger restraint.

I think instilling a three day waiting period before offering a blogging response is the best way for bloggers to blog. 

* extra long sip*

That's good.

Now where was I?

Oh yes.

I am not saying that reposting data is necessarily the same thing. The recent Gospel Coalition/ SGM sexual abuse scandal is a great example of something that demanded reporting and discussion.

I am, however, wanting to offer bloggers a chance to reflect. Imagine this: being angry is not necessarily a positive or negative emotion. Its a reaction, good or bad, against something. Injustice. Sexism. Et cetera. When we are angry, we can become quite insulated and reactive, prone to acting in anger rather than grace.

I'm not thinking of any one in particular. Know this. I have myself in view here as well.

By the way, if you've not seen much 'controversy' on this blog, that is why. If something makes me angry, I take three days to think it over, mull responses, reap data, drink more coffee...

*sip*

... and do my best to read up on it. Mostly, I want the anger to dissipate. However, if I am still angry after three days, that means something. It means a lot. That lets me know that I've not only taken the time to listen and reflect, but because of that time, my anger hasn't decreased. So it offers a buffer against overreaction. Its a marvelous prophylactic, in my experience.

*sip*

It doesn't have to be this way for you. Probably, you are more instantly reflective than I am. Fair enough. Then proceed as you are. Go with God.

For those of you who are like me, who can get angry and are prepared to tell the world everything, take some time. It isn't about the blog hits. It isn't about starting wars in disqus. It isn't about talking *censored for my mother's sake* on people.

*sip*

Its about listening, reflecting, and being socially responsible. Sometimes this rule can and should be bent. But not for the sake of personal indignation, but for the other

I could be way off, and I welcome nuance. This post is a bit pointed in parts, but if you are angry, take some time and let me know. Chances are, I will agree with what you say.

Blessings.

--Nick

2 comments:

  1. Read nothing into the fact that I'm replying to this three days after it has been posted! Having only (extremely) recently had the idea to begin blogging, but having a number of draft posts already penned, I can already see the value of what you're saying here. Even when trying to stay calm and humble, there are certain topics (some of them pretty petty) which upon rereading I realise I was far too aggressively irate about. I just wanted to let you know that having read this post, I've since gone back to the drawing board with them to reconsider my approach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael! That's encouraging.

      And no, I didn't wait three days to respond on purpose. :D

      --Nick

      Delete