Saturday, May 12, 2012

"Meta-Celestial" Trilogy, some more brief thoughts

I've been thinking more about how to engage with the practical side of my writing. Many other writers tend to incorporate themes and motifs that are not only personal to them, but also practical in ways of narrative exposition. The Grey is a prime example of a worldview perfectly examined and shown, but also the practical side of how one lives such a life as fatalism will allow.

From this, I've begun to really ponder how to really work everything I've been struck by in these past few years. Thinking not only personally but nationally and even cosmically is a challenge for a worldview, and I do wonder if we as Christians, or broadly as humans, are often consumed with thinking about perception as it only applies to us.

An example: it is easier to oppose affirmative action if one hasn't been involved in the inner city. One may have great reasons to not affirm affirmative action, but it is often conceptual reasoning apart from experience.

Our experiences affirm our journey, and our journey practically writes itself for us. I cannot tell you how often I've simply sat down, outlined an entire story down to the  screws in the foundation, and dissolved the whole thing because I couldn't see how to practically show a meta-concept.

To tie this all together, I think Christianity and the writing process both need a jump start once again. In this, we need to experience the very concepts we affirm, and be willing to not only be challenged by opposing forces but to always be reforming our journeys. In our writing, we need to be ready to push our views into greater scope and we ought not be afraid to do the same with our theology.

Unless we are able and willing to experience the natural outline of the journey, I'm not certain growth is possible. But, of course, I'm writing off the cuff and simply thinking.

Pax.

--Nick

2 comments:

  1. I'll respond to you with a George McDonald quote I tweeted last night: "To hold a thing with the intellect is not to believe it. A man's belief is that which he lives by."

    ReplyDelete