Thursday, December 27, 2012

A Change in Heart over the Calvinism/ Arminianism Debate

Marius:
I wasn’t aware of the depth of theology behind it, nor was I aware that its opponent(s) had a term(s) to be identified with (Arminianism in this case which is a form of Synergism, but other forms of Synergism existed prior to Arminianism, e.g. Pelagianism and Semi-Pelagianism, which hold that individuals co-operate with God in their salvation, though each of these systems define cooperation differently), nor did I research it – I simply rejected it because it defied all common sense. With my limited knowledge of Calvinism, which was basically making it synonymous with predestination, I took my stand against it. I believed then, and still do, that God seeks a true relationship with his creation rather than an arbitrary one.
My good friend Marius wrote this and I found it compelling. The personal aspect of these conversations and debates is sorely needed. As someone who was stuck in the very center of the debate at Biola, it is quite profound to see the almost siesmic shift one experiences when they change their mind. In either direction.

For the rest of Marius' post, enjoy it here. Check out his blog!

--Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment