Friday, December 7, 2012

Hopped and Bothered; Ballast Point Indra Kunindra

Ballast Point -- Indra KunindrA
Alcohol content 7%. This imported stout hit me like an angry personified mac truck. The pour is dark with a bit of red along the outer edges. The scent is strong, like intensified Indian food. Cumin. Lime. Tons of foreign spices. I nearly sneezed when I took my first sniff. The sip is complex and malty, dark and with a tad bit of fruit before quickly fading behind spices, heat and cayenne pepper. The after effect is strong and sustained, leaving a dry sensation on the palette. Elements of coconut do peek through, though they are rarely smelled.

Buy if: you want something you aren't expecting.

Overall: a sensory assault. A complex foreign stout that would taste great chilled, but once warmed became almost like a soup. Rich with tons of flavor but I'm not certain it all worked together.

Still on the fence. David Sidebotham would LOVE this.

3 out of 5.

--Nick

1 comment: