Friday, October 25, 2013

Hopped and Bothered: Deschutes Dissident 2012

Deschutes Brewery -- The Dissident

Alcohol content 11.4%.

The history of this bottle demands an epic retelling. I was once a young and voracious lad, full of hops and vinegar, searching castles and fortresses for my fair maiden. First I tried the castle of Coors and Bud, and was resoundingly rebuffed. Nothing but water around the castle to swim through. Shame shame shame.

However, after I found this new castle at the end of the rainbow, a sour ale of Flanders origin. The cap popped like a nail being clipped. Ping. Amazing sound that resounded throughout the house. The scene was cherry, brown sugar and a butt load of sour. I was shocked. I've had several sour ales in my day, rescuing them from various dragons and lecherous old men. And after I've had a taste, they've been cast from the light into wailing and gnashing of teeth.

This time, instead I was treated of happiness. The color was dark copper, rich and looking like a penny. The head was fairly minimal, low hanging and foggy. The scent was happiness, lingering: cherry mixed with hefty malts, smelling like fruit and fresh baked bread; elements of plum, red wine. The tang is high and mighty with this one.

The taste is similar, except the flavor resides far more in the taste buds. The first ten seconds are tangy with cherry residue. But right after, the malts began to intensify like the yeast was reproducing in my taste buds. Seriously. The bread was amazing. Very funky. Very rich. A little bit of vanilla burns the back of my throat.

The finish is astounding. So epic.

Buy if: you can't. But take my word, you should have.

Overall: just. Well, you can't buy it. You should have.

5 stars out of 5.

--Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment